Carby, cheesy, gooey comfort food is good for the soul – and dairy is hard to keep fresh. However, the Sainsbury’s mac and cheese pasta bake jars have turned out to be a surprisingly good shelf-stable cheese sauce.
Of course, if you have the other ingredients and don’t want to cheat you can make mac and cheese the traditional way but with UHT or powdered milk, but this gives a good result too.
Ingredients (serves 4, unless you’re hungry, in which case it serves 2)
- 1 jar Sainsbury’s Mac & Cheese Pasta Bake sauce
- 200g dry macaroni
- 350ml milk, UHT or made with milk powder (the jar suggests to add some extra water, but I found this unnecessary)
- Knob of butter (can be stored frozen, but it keeps for months in the fridge anyway)
- The jar tells you to top it with 100g grated cheddar, but if you haven’t got any it will still make a lovely pasta bake
- Preheat oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Gas 4
- Mix dry macaroni, contents of jar, knob of butter and milk in an ovenproof dish. Stir thoroughly.
- Cook for 35 mins, stir thoroughly, top with cheddar if you are using it and cook for 25 more minutes.