This filling lentil dish is filling and as cheap as chips – and vegan if you omit the yoghurt. It’s also full of protein – you’ll find 26g of protein in the lentils alone.
- 100g red lentils
- Onions – fresh, frozen, tinned or dried and rehydrated, equivalent to one onion.
- 1 generous tsp ground cumin
- A splash of oil
- 1 tsp turmeric, if available
- 1 veggie stock cube
- Tin of tomatoes
- Coriander (dried or fresh, if available)
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt, fresh or made using Easiyo, if available.
- Rinse lentils and drain
- Put lentils in a saucepan, cover with a little water (not too much!) and bring to the boil, skimming off any floating ‘scum’ with a spoon.
- Meanwhile, fry the spices and onion
- Add onion, stock cube, chopped tomatoes and coriander to the saucepan
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are swollen, adding extra water if necessary
- Add the yoghurt, if using, just before serving.