This recipe originally came from the Hairy Bikers, but I decided to use it as a testbed for a few different ingredients that I’d bought as store cupboard replacements for ingredients I’d normally buy fresh.
- Two large tins of potatoes, drained and cut into chunks (about 650g)
- Half a tin of onions, or 1.5 onions (fresh / frozen / dried and rehydrated) sliced and fried with a knob of butter and a tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garlic puree
- 100g frozen spinach, defrosted
- 150g grated cheddar (can be stored frozen)
- Frozen or dried parsley, or 2 tbsp fresh if available
- 1 small tin (170g) of Carnation extra thick cream or double cream.
- Salt and pepper
- Pastry, made from half a packet mix, plus a little plain flour for rolling. If you have the fresh ingredients, see the Hairy Bikers recipe above.
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Make up half the packet of pastry, roll with a little flour and line an ovenproof dish.
- Fry onions, if not using tinned.
- Mix in garlic, parsley and potatoes. Heat through.
- Add spinach, nutmeg and seasoning. Stir through.
- Stir through half the cheese. If using tinned cream, stir through at this point.
- Tip the mixture into the pastry lined oven proof dish.
- If using fresh cream, drizzle it over at this point.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 mins.