- Either one 400g packet of frozen sliced aubergine, or two large fresh aubergines cut into 5mm slices + olive oil for drizzling
- 75g breadcrumbs
- 2 balls mozzarella – stored frozen and defrosted, then sliced.
- 50g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative – stored frozen
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp garlic puree
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes for a mild dish, or more if you want more of a kick
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 500ml passata
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6
- If using fresh aubergine, spread the slices on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until tender and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the 2 tbsp oil to a frying pan. Add the chilli and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic puree and rosemary. Fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce until it starts to smell sweet.
- Add the passata and reduce for 10-15 mins.
- Take an ovenproof dish, and add the ingredients in layers, starting with a little tomato sauce, followed by aubergine slices, a scattering of breadcrumbs and then mozzarella. Repeat until you’ve used up all your ingredients. Finish with a layer of aubergines, a thicker layer of breadcrumbs and the grated parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until golden brown and bubbling.